Speech & Language Therapy -Adult
Adult Speech and Language Therapists provide assessment and treatment of communication and swallowing difficulties in adults a variety of locations across the county.
In Patient Services
Adult Speech and Language Therapists will assess communication and/or swallowing difficulties on the ward and provide advice or treatment as appropriate.
Out Patient Services
Adult Speech and Language Therapists will assess communication and/or swallowing difficulties at an out patient appointment and provide advice or treatment as appropriate. The therapist may work with family members or carers to devise strategies to overcome some difficulties as appropriate. It may be that a course of one to one therapy is needed or one appointment may be sufficient to help the patient to manage their speech and/or swallowing independently. Patients can also be seen in groups as, well as or instead of one to one therapy.
- Voice therapy
- Aids to help with communication
- Communication/swallowing after stroke
- Communication/swallowing after a head injury
- Communication/swallowing associated with long term neurological conditions such as Parkinson's Disease or Motor Neurone Disease
- Communication/swallowing after cancer of the head and neck
- Videofluroscopy – This is an x-ray which allows the Speech and Language Therapist to view a patient's swallow, to assess the severity of the difficulty; strategies may also be recommended to manage it. Videofluoroscopy may be requested whilst the patient is an in hospital, or it can be arranged as an out-patient appointment
- Voice Clinic – Specialist Clinic where video/photographs are taken of the larynx to help with treatment planning
A home visit can be arranged in exceptional circumstances and this can be discussed on an individual basis.
The Head of Adult Speech and Language Therapy Service is Jane Stroud.
The Adult Speech and Language Therapy Service is based at Cheltenham General Hospital and Gloucestershire Royal Hospital. Therapists also work in community locations across the county. The Adult Speech and Language Therapy service is also supported by admin staff.
We endeavour to offer an outpatient appointment as soon as possible. We aim to see everyone within eight weeks of receipt of the referral.
For inpatients in Gloucestershire Royal and Cheltenham General Hospitals our response times from receipt of referral are:
- within two working days for a swallow assessment
- within five working days for a communication assessment
Community hospital Adult Speech and Language Therapy services are